Monday, June 30, 2008

Ten Years Later

I am in Delhi after nearly 10 years! It's a short trip for some work, but I have been very excited about visiting Delhi after so long. 

I land, and I know I am back. People jumping the queues in immigration, major pushing at the exit point ... all the usual Delhi aggression from the minute I landed. Never mind since I was in a happy mood to be here ... but it just reminded me of all the things I disliked about Delhi in the first place.  

Negative start aside, once out of the airport, I was so impressed with what the city has done with the infrastructure. I didn't get a chance to get on the metro, but drove around quite a bit and the whole flyover network, while confusing, transformed the traffic. Bombay could certainly learn a lesson or two on upgrading infrastructure.

Two days were spent going to some of the old places Dilli Haat, South Ex... and going to some new places. I also really wanted to visit DU, but couldn't manage the time. I was quite surprised at the number of pubs around the city ... the Barista culture now seems to be replaced with a more pubbing culture. We were out on Saturday early evening and two sets of school kids came and sat at the next table - drinking beer and having an occasional smoke. I later found out from my school going cousins that it's quite common and nothing to be shocked about. I still was, I can't quite reconcile drinking (at pubs) and smoking with teenagers.

It's good to be back after so long ... I am still not convinced I would like to live here ... but it's been a nice walk down memory lane. And now I am off home till the end of the week for some rest, relaxation and pampering.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh yeh, the teens are taking over the pubs. Can hardly find a 'decent' pub these days minus the noisy bunch.

Pea said...

But where do they get the money ???