Saturday, November 03, 2007

Guy Fawkes and Diwali

This evening I suddenly heard the sound of fireworks and rushed to the living room to see that our community gardens had organized fireworks for Guy Fawkes night. I abandoned what I was doing and planted myself on the sofa and peered into the window to watch a lovely display of light and colour. I love the visual fireworks over the 'noisy bomb type' ones. I had expected to miss the fireworks this year because I didn't have the enthusiasm to go to one of organized bonfires at Battersea Park and the likes, so it was a nice unexpected surprise.

While sitting there it felt so much like Diwali (with less noise!). As a child, I rarely went out during Diwali because all the smoke from the crackers hung around as smog and invariably I would react badly with a sore throat and the works. It was pretty much the same, except this is pre-Diwali. Next weekend there is Diwali to look forward to .. a small version of the fireworks and a nice party.

No comments: